Thursday 14 February 2008

First Week Home
Pleased to be home but a few ups and downs. I was such a nuisance in bed Monday night that hubby asked me to sleep in senior daughter’s room while she was at her dad’s on Tuesday, so he could get a bit of rest. That made me cry a lot, and made him feel bad too, but at least we slept!


During the week, loads of flowers arrived. They are absolutely beautiful! My mum, my class and both my offices sent lovely bouquets. They made me cry…but in a good way.

Darkest day so far was Thursday. Drain still draining a lot and leaking repeatedly. Every time I had to change the dressing and all my clothes, it made me feel sick. Poor mum got the brunt of it when she called. When the drain came out on Friday, it was amazing! I could feel al the negativity leaving me and tight muscles unravelling. Sooo much better. Beautiful weather at the weekend helped too!

Hints and tips
Must admit to being quite disgruntled that the hospital made no offer of any form of prosthesis. I’ve fashioned my own version, using an old bra cup from a bra that was a bit small, and a wonderbra pad so when I’m dressed, I look OK and at least my bra cup doesn’t hang half empty. Also regretting not going to have a mastectomy bra fitted before the op, as I can hardly take my wounds to M&S! Hopefully, it won’t be long ‘til the scabs are off, then I’ll go. In the meantime, I have taken the wires out of some of my old bras and that seem to be working OK.


Second Week Home
Big improvements! Been out on my bicycle and also been driving with no problems. Scar healing well, much better than I thought it would. Only slight downers are there is some oedema in the armpit area and the nerve damage affecting right arm (there‘s a numb bit surrounded by skin that thinks it’s burning). Been pointed at dandelion or nettle tea for oedema (both quite acceptable to me but bit of an acquired taste perhaps) which at least seems to have stopped any increase. Also a friend suggested Rescue Remedy in some lotion on the arm. I was a bit sceptical bit it really took the sting out of it. It may be my imagination but it was cheap and helpful so who cares?
Looking forward to going in to college at the weekend (although I doubt I’ll manage 3 days) and to riding next week.

Still going with the homeopathic remedies.

Planning to make some bags to give to the breast care unit, so other ladies don’t have to wander around with drains in carrier bags like I did and wondering if I can blag some free fabric off Ikea or John Lewis. I have some here so I’ll use that up first.

Had a bit of a pessimistic day on Tuesday and looked at wig web sites. That quite cheered my up! I can even get a pink bob wig, like my own hair but a bit longer, if I need one! Should I need one, there’s no way I’ll go for a ‘natural’ look. I don’t normally so why change? Anyway, that’s all hypothetical presently. I’ll find out about chemo on 25 Feb, when I go back to the hospital. (Must remember to take them some decent magazines!)

Over the weekend, I joined some forums for people with breast cancer. I was a bit depressing really so it’s not exactly an addictive pastime. There seems to be a shortage of people like me who don’t actually want to fess up to being ill unless it’s forced upon them. I mean, it’s not like I’m not aware that I have an invasive cancer which could kill me. (Hopefully HAD now the lump has gone!!!) However, if it keeps the smile on my face to pretend everything is fine, then why shouldn’t I?

At the moment, I still feel like a lucky girl. I found the cancer when it was still quite small and the breast care unit people seem positive. I wouldn’t have picked to have cancer, given the option, but seeing as I have, it’s not too much of a raw deal. I’m just happy to be having it treated and want to get on with my life!

No comments: